Marvel’s Kevin Feige Provides New Phase 3 Details For Avengers
By Shawn Rice, Published October 29, 2014
Marvel head honcho Kevin Feige presided over a huge conference at the El Capitan Theatre in Los Angeles, where he has already unveiled the dates and titles for a bunch of upcoming Marvel films. And they are an amazing lineup.
New titles confirmed include Black Panther, Captain Marvel (the Carol Danvers version), The Inhumans, and Avengers: Infinity War, Part 1 and Part 2. Additionally, Cap 3 and Thor 3 both have new titles in Captain America: Civil War and Thor: Ragnarok, as well as confirmed release dates along with Doctor Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
In the wake of yesterday’s big announcement of Marvel Studios’ slate of Phase Three films, Feige has answered various questions that fans will have about the line-up, and more what films/characters are missing for it. Feige answered these questions in a twenty-minute interview following the presentation. Here are some highlights:
- Hulk & Black Widow will NOT get standalones. They will, however, be very key characters in all three upcoming “Avengers” films and may appear in others in the line-up. Marvel appears to be going with the little is better with these characters.
- Black Panther and Inhumans will score teases long before their solo films. The former gets easter eggs in ‘Ultron’ and a full costume appearance in “Captain America: Civil War” – check out a costume sketch at Marvel.com. Of the “Inhumans,” Feige promises we’ll get hints of them sooner than you may think.
- The ‘Civil War’ storyline won’t be about secret identities but about oversight and the superheroes of the world answering to some authority. Either way, it will be awesome.
- The studio is only announcing things that are signed and sealed. That is why Benedict Cumberbatch wasn’t announced as “Doctor Strange,” and why there was no comment on a potential Spider-Man future crossover. Though it appears to be close.
- “Captain Marvel” casting rumors will run rampant, but Marvel isn’t considering any of it until a writer and director are locked in – which they haven’t been yet. Rumors also include hiring a woman to direct.
- They won’t talk too much about cast lists for even the Phase Three films as “to even talk about who will be in what movies is a bit of a spoiler” indicating death may linger on the near horizon. So, fans can start speculating by reading more about the Infinity Gauntlet.
With the unexpected leak of the first trailer for Marvel’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron” last week, the studio responded quickly and got the HD version out on Youtube quick smart. Unfortunately that meant the planned big reveal of said trailer during this week’s episode of “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” had to be reevaluated.
The result of the leak? Marvel chose to essentially incorporate back in some of the Comic Con footage to come up with an ‘extended trailer’. Marvel played this clip at San Diego Comic-Con — Earth’s mightiest heroes engaged in a battle of ego: Who can lift Thor’s hammer? Then the footage dovetails into the trailer we’ve already watched 70 million times since last Wednesday.
Avengers: Age of Uron stars Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Samuel L. Jackson, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, James Spader, Cobie Smulders, Thomas Kretschmann, Paul Bettany and Stellan Skarsgard. The film is set to be released in May 2015.
[Photo Credit: Source]